______ Between the Quacks ______

                                               Having a second childhood. This time for good.

Monday, July 17, 2006

Da

The change keeps coming. Where is it all coming from? Some strange intense period of development. I finally picked a first name, and now apparently I've re-named my animation company too. So much for fear of defining myself. Its happening.



For those of you who don't know, I've been working on an animation project for the last couple years. Before that, I wrote and directed the unusual, avant-garde sketch comedy show "Ants, Plants and Bob!"



I played an ant. Among other things.



I have been searching myself and my artistic self for years, adrift. Writing. Seeking. Exploring. Adventuring.



After "Ants, Plants and Bob!" met with some success in Northern California I had a dream which prompted me to do something I never thought myself capable of. Move to LA.



Where I felt like a bit of an alien.


But now I've hooked up with a couple guys to do animation, and things feel



...friendlier.



I still get grumpy sometimes.


But I feel a lot of direction.


Anyway I've had such a hard time categorizing what I do, naming it, containing it, until I realized something quite simple. It is da.


That we live in da and that I want to keep living in da and giving to the da. And so I've chosen a new name for our animated venture, and I guess, a sort of nick-surname for myself...Davey Da.


And I haven't slept. I've been so feverish with imagination. We have a website planned out and we are designing images and starting to put things in place.



This is me with Lou Pieper. Brilliant artist. Dumb look on face. He designed the illustrations in this post from my writing. We have tons more and are planning boatloads of animation, which we will release under the name Davey Da.



I couldn't begin to tell you exactly what da is, but let me leave you with a few things I've written of late...




The Da is not too serious. Nor too boring. If the Da was two hours,
you would not be snoring.




The Da isn’t witchcraft
But it feels like magic
Makes you high as a kite
Horny as a rabbit
Its out in the streets
Fresh as a tomato
Wiser than Forrest Gump
More Sexy than Plato

Let Da into your house
And into your bath
Sprinkle some on your eggs
Share your private stash
Do not forget Da
Don’t be lost and alone
Use Da. You’ll have plenty extra minutes
on your phone.
Da is yours to have and to hold
But not to own.





The Mighty Da
It speaks through Davey
Tony, Bob, LaTisha, Amy
The mighty Da is written in stone
And water and windex and paper and baloney
The Da is in the wind
Winding through the prairie
The Da lives in the fur of dogs
that are hairy

The Da loves TV
And loves sunset strolls
Has an excellent driver
Gets drunk in its Rolls

Where won’t you find the great, wonderful Da?
It’s hard
because if you look,
it’s lookin’ right back atcha.



Do you know when you find something exciting, maybe after years and long years of searching, of suicidally boring law school, of lots of sexy women having no interest, of stumbling around dressed like a chicken, dressed like an ant, but searching? Always searching. And then, you know, its like a light turns on. And...yes. This one is yes. The Fit is Go. I think maybe I am finally starting to know who I am. And where I am headed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home